Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (THEA) Savari was selected by the Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (THEA) and the partnering integrator company Brandmotion to equip the majority of vehicles with its V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) connected car technology. Tampa becomes the first city to feature Savari’s innovative and life-saving connected car technology following the U.S. Department of Transportation’s new rule for car-to-car communications.
Cars, trucks, buses and trolleys will be retrofitted with Savari’s On-Board-Units (OBUs) and connected car software to enable cars to “talk” to each other through Vehicle-to- Vehicle (V2V), Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) and Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) software. Savari’s connected car solution in Tampa offers a wide range of transportation efficiency and safety applications. Features such as dual radio with simultaneous diversity provides a flexible range of options during installation and is one of many key differentiating features for Savari in smart city deployments.
V2X equipped vehicles and roadside infrastructure will be connected to the City of Tampa Transportation Management Center and existing Traffic Control System through the cloud for a seamless management experience and enhanced transit awareness. THEA and Savari are looking at six use cases that V2X technology can significantly benefit in everyday transportation:
1. Reduce morning backups and congestion through downtown
2. Reduce the risk of wrong-way entries on reversible express lanes
3. Enhance pedestrian safety through crosswalk assist applications
4. Improve transit signal priority optimization and safety
5. Eliminate confusion around TECO Line trolley conflicts
6. Enhance traffic signal coordination and traffic flow